On March 1st 2016, the Hochschule für Kunsttherapie Nuertingen (HKT) merged with Nuertingen-Geislingen University (HfWU).
Since then, the innovative and internationally recognised bachelor degree program Art Therapy is offered at Nuertingen-Geislingen University. It leads to the degree Bachelor of Arts (B.A.).
Based on psychodynamic principles, art therapy uses approaches, insights and impulses from the fine arts to support healing processes and personal development. The degree course is application-oriented with emphasis on both art and scientifically based therapy training using psychodynamic principles.
The course prepares for art therapy practice in many social, clinical and pedagogical areas of work. During the entire course, particular emphasis is placed on linking theory and practice and up-to-date scientific findings.
In addition to teaching art and art therapy, the course focuses on fostering social skills and personal development.
Further information can be found on the German website of HKT or Nuertingen-Geislingen University.
At a Glance
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Time to Degree:
Application EXCHANGE STUDENTS:
Deadline for spring/summer term:
Nomination deadline: November 15th
Application deadline: December 1st
Deadline for fall/winter term:
Nomination deadline: June 15th
Application deadline: July 1st
Application full-time students
Admission to the winter semester only.
Application Deadline: May 31st
The applications for full-time students are processed online by hochschulstart.de. At the end of the online application process you have to print the forms, sign and send them to NGU. You will find all necessary information under "application" on our website.
For the applications in the bachelor degree program Art Therapy there are fixed criteria and a two-stage selection process. The selection process considers
- the average mark of the university entrance qualification
- specific, additionally acquired skills (NOT MANDATORY)
The following additional qualification can be considered in the application process:
- Apprenticeship or academic studies with reference to Art Therapy
- Internship with reference to Art Therapy
Step 1 - Handing in Application Documents:
Please hand in the printed online application with the necessary documents and proof of additional skills.
Important: In addition to the online application, please send a portfolio of your artwork by regular mail directly to:
Hochschule fuer Wirtschaft um Umwelt Nuertingen-Geislingen
Hochschulstudiengänge Künstlerische Therapien
Sigmaringer Str. 15/2
The portfolio of your artworkcan also be handed in in person. Information regarding the requirements can be found online at: Anforderungen an die künstlerische Mappe
A 3-months internship or work experience in the social sector is also compulsory before the start of your studies.
Step 2 - Entrance Exam:
After step 1, the applicants will be ranked by the average mark achieved. Provided they have achieved a mark better than 2,6, the first max. 100 ranked applicants will be admitted to an entrance exam.
Course contents art therapy:
- Art therapy in clinical and pedagogical contexts
- Art therapy theory and target-oriented methodology
- Basic principles of psychodynamics and developmental psychology
- Psychotherapeutical conduct and communication
- Scientific research, documentation and evaluation
Course contents art:
- Individual artistic training
- International art history/positions in contemporary art
- Aesthetic theory/creativity theory/pictorial language/visual perception
- One to two days a week are dedicated to this area.
- Students are provided with their own individual studio space for the entire duration of the course
- Course contents professional practice
- Ethical and professional framework
- Legal and job-specific parameters
- Art therapy in an interdisciplinary context
- Project workJob application training
This part of the coure is divided up into compulsory and non-compulsory seminars.
Language of Instruction
Classes in this degree program are instructed in German. For more information, please refer to the German site. However, NGU offers a wide range of English taught classes to exchange students. For more information, please refer to our English Course List for exchange students.